HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL STABILIZER DONE!

Hey all of you readers! Is it like I died? Well I haven’t, I have been building my airplane, finishing up my senior year of high school, and started my final track and field season! (I am a high jumper). There is a simple reason to why I am not going to apologize for my absence…. of course, because I have been building!

Lets get into the good stuff, I have decided to go ahead and put together a KigLog for a detailed description for every day of the build which will be linked on this site for you all to go enjoy! Why not put it on here? I see many benefits to this program to tally up my hours, keep everything organized and to provide a routine. With that being said I hope you will go to that site and view all the pictures, writings, and tips for when you finally get the kick in the a*# to go build your own airplane someday (I am 18, hurry up I am beating you).

As for the build, well I have been hard at work, I have recently finished the hard work of the horizontal stabilizer. As many builders say, the learning curve on the first piece of construction is outrageously steep. I, being a complete new builder having never really built a single thing in my life before this airplane. I was even able to build the horizontal stabilizer (WHAT AN AWESOME FEELING). It took from August 2011 to mid March 2012 but you bet I got it done. Then the next step was to start the vertical stabilizer. This part of the airplane I was on my own, I knew I could do it and I trusted my abilities. After going down to a friends to learn building techniques I knew I could do this.

Last week I decided to knock out this vertical stab in less than 7 days, and by golly you bet I did. I managed to complete it all in almost 2 days time and was so amazed at how easy it really was now to put forth all I had learned into making a beautiful part of and airplane!  I think I spoke too soon though, as I was getting ready to work on the rear spar of the Verticle stab, I realized that I had made my first mistake of the build. Most builders make a mistake early on and I am actually humbled that this was the first part re-order I had to do. Turns out that I countersunk the wrong side of the spar doubler and countersunk the hinge brackets… STUPID ME! That was a case of the “not looking at the plans” syndrome. So as I wait on the parts to come in to officially call the stabilizers DONE, I shall now start on the beloved rudder, because as long as this airplane is a single engine I am going to need that thing every take off!!!!

I am glad I found the time to get back into my blog and will vow from here on out to post as frequent as a blogger that cares about his readers does!!!

While you wait for the next entry, here are some pictures:

Right Horizontal Stabilizer final drilling!
Right Horizontal Stabilizer final drilling!
Horizontal Stabilizer assembly!
Horizontal Stabilizer assembly!
Horizontal Stabilizer DONE!
Horizontal Stabilizer DONE!
Vertical Stabilizer Skeleton!
Vertical Stabilizer Skeleton!