Cheers to a new beginning! After taking a few months off of the RV-8 build it has come that time where I really miss building my airplane. I have been making stupid excuses lately and have realized that I have let fear of making a mistake get in the way of building. In result, I decided that with a new year comes a new year’s resolution to begin building once more. With that being said, from here on out I will being using this website not only as my personal flying blog, but also my RV-8 Building log. Each day (which I plan to build each day) I will post a small excerpt with multiple pictures recording my progress from here on out. Not only will this share the experience with all my readers but it will also act as a logging use for me to keep track of the time I have spent on the project.
A vast majority of experimental aircraft builders elect to post pictures on a personal site to provide others with helpful visual aids in the process building. Although I am completely new at every aspect of building, this will show how a pilot can be turned into a “newbie” aircraft builder!
These past three days I have been trying to get my bearings straight and have tried to figure out where I left off a few months back. After I got that done, I organized my work area and began tackling the front spar assembly. In the last two days I was able to drill the inside eight holes of the HS-810-1 and HS 815 brackets. Six of the eight holes were drilled with a #30 and then the 4 holes that will have a bolt in them needed a 3/16 bit (Which I had to go to Menards to get). I think it is time to buy me a Cleveland Tool fractional bit kit.
Now it is time to taper the brackets and bend them…. Both of which I don’t have a clue where to begin! So I think I may wait until I go down to Cincinnati in two weekends when I have a building session with a friend. Until then I guess I will debur and flute some ribs!
Pictures for your enjoyment! 21.3 hours spent working on the airplane so far!